Book Contest

Book Contest
What saying (dealing with fraud) does this picture represent?

Monday, October 4, 2010

"The Proof Is In The Pudding"

"Stop the presses" refers to stopping the printing process so that late breaking news can be inserted before distribution. Now, what does that have to do with my book, "Cooking The Books," and more relevant to this blog, what does stopping the presses have to do with the title of the blog, "The Proof Is In The Pudding."
As you faithful readers know, my passion is writing about the origin and meaning of phrases, proverbs, idioms and quotes. The meaning of this phrase (most sources say the complete expression has the addition words, in the eating, at the end) is that the true value or quality of something can only be judged when it's put to use. The origin dates to at least 1605 and is found in Cervantes' Don Quixote.
Now, what the heck does this expression [the shorter version can be considered an idiom because proof and pudding together don't make any sense] have to do with my book? Simply put, if I were to let my printer "go to presses" with the current proof [of the book] I would look like I didn't know how to write or spell very well. My research of the expressions dealing with white-collar crime and the quotes that accumpany all the chapters I am pleased with, but the the mistakes of grammer, puncuation and spelling throughout the manuscript, leaves me dissatisfied with what would have been the final product.
The quality of the finished product must be the author's responsibility so that the readers of my book have a elegant work that is worth their money and both educates and entertains them, so therefore I am "stopping the presses" until the "poof is in the pudding." What I am asking, for all of you that read this latest blog, is to point out any mistakes in gramer, puncuation and spelling that you see in this blog. PME
Quality is never an accident, it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intellingent direction and skillful exection, it represents the wise choice of many alternatives. --William A. Foster
.

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog!

    Since you asked about typos, etc., I'll submit that I know you didn't mean the "poof" is in the pudding! (See the last paragraph of this post.)

    But that's funny. Yorkshire Pudding, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leslie. I wish I knew how not to have some much space between the above blog and your comment. I have tried everything, including the "kitchen sink". As far as the "poof" goes, the meaning out of thefree dictionary.com is, "used to indicate a sudden vanishing, as in the magician waved a wand, and poof..." Well, due to the [right] proof not being in the pudding, the book went "poof" for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figured out the multiple blank lines problem (as one can see). It was in the formating section. Boy, I can't wait until my blog is attached to my web site so I have better control over it's functions!

    ReplyDelete